Guy1 - "Hey man, what's that bumping in your headphones?"
Guy2 - "Oh this? Just some Tribe Called Quest. Wow... I'm surprised you don't know it."
Guy1 - "Nah, I'm not on music like that, but how did your swag get so classic?"
Guy2 - "Pandora Radio. It'll show you the dopest music based on your taste, for free."
If you run into a conversation like this, smack the mp3 player out the dude's hand. I have two peeves when it comes to music... bad music, and pre-packaged good music. Pandora radio is a free internet radio service that customizes the music on a station that you create by choosing artists, songs and albums that you like. So... if you enter Kanye West as an artist you're interested in hearing, Pandora will choose songs and artists that are similar to Kanye West and his music and let you hear it through the station you created. Depending on the person, this can be used for much good, or the worst kind of bad. The obnoxious music phony kinda bad.
So type in Kanye West, you're listening to "Heard Em Say", cool...you love that song. The next song chosen for you is Jay-Z "Dirt off Your Shoulder", oh man...you almost forgot about that song. What's this now? Next is "Hard Knock Life"? You vaguely remember that song, but now you're gonna put it on your iPod so it looks like you was up on Jay-Z from way way wayyy back. I think I see Notorious B.I.G up next, this is just getting better and better isn't it..?
Now, before I go any further...I want it to be clear that I have NO problem with people getting their music game up. Music is meant to be shared with anyone willing to listen.
What I do have a problem with is a poser. I don't wanna catch you wearing black-yellow-green pumas and rastafarian attire if you only think of Bob Marley as "that reggae dude". There's nothing cool about using 'nerd slang' [ANYTHING that wasn't cool to say 5 years ago.] if you stuff geek kids in lockers in your free time. Koolbeanz?
How do you know if you're a poser?
1. You download music by typing the stereotype for a whole group of people. [ie, "emo Goth music", "Japanese robot sounding music"]
2. You like a band/rapper but you can't name more than 2 songs by them.
3. You pretend you have been loved and knew the songs you heard off of Pandora radio.
Go to concerts, whose performing with your favorite artist? You know those band shirts you buy at Hot Topic? try finding out more about the name on the shirt. Go to a music store, take off the huge retro headphones you walked in with and actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.
That's the way it's supposed to be. That's how you find music, or better yet, that's how music finds YOU.
"Dude... How did your swag get so classic?"
It didn't, swag was never known for hiding in radio stations, and it definitely can't be spoon-fed to you from a website.
Over and out.
Guy2 - "Oh this? Just some Tribe Called Quest. Wow... I'm surprised you don't know it."
Guy1 - "Nah, I'm not on music like that, but how did your swag get so classic?"
Guy2 - "Pandora Radio. It'll show you the dopest music based on your taste, for free."
If you run into a conversation like this, smack the mp3 player out the dude's hand. I have two peeves when it comes to music... bad music, and pre-packaged good music. Pandora radio is a free internet radio service that customizes the music on a station that you create by choosing artists, songs and albums that you like. So... if you enter Kanye West as an artist you're interested in hearing, Pandora will choose songs and artists that are similar to Kanye West and his music and let you hear it through the station you created. Depending on the person, this can be used for much good, or the worst kind of bad. The obnoxious music phony kinda bad.
So type in Kanye West, you're listening to "Heard Em Say", cool...you love that song. The next song chosen for you is Jay-Z "Dirt off Your Shoulder", oh man...you almost forgot about that song. What's this now? Next is "Hard Knock Life"? You vaguely remember that song, but now you're gonna put it on your iPod so it looks like you was up on Jay-Z from way way wayyy back. I think I see Notorious B.I.G up next, this is just getting better and better isn't it..?
Now, before I go any further...I want it to be clear that I have NO problem with people getting their music game up. Music is meant to be shared with anyone willing to listen.
What I do have a problem with is a poser. I don't wanna catch you wearing black-yellow-green pumas and rastafarian attire if you only think of Bob Marley as "that reggae dude". There's nothing cool about using 'nerd slang' [ANYTHING that wasn't cool to say 5 years ago.] if you stuff geek kids in lockers in your free time. Koolbeanz?
How do you know if you're a poser?
1. You download music by typing the stereotype for a whole group of people. [ie, "emo Goth music", "Japanese robot sounding music"]
2. You like a band/rapper but you can't name more than 2 songs by them.
3. You pretend you have been loved and knew the songs you heard off of Pandora radio.
Go to concerts, whose performing with your favorite artist? You know those band shirts you buy at Hot Topic? try finding out more about the name on the shirt. Go to a music store, take off the huge retro headphones you walked in with and actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.
That's the way it's supposed to be. That's how you find music, or better yet, that's how music finds YOU.
"Dude... How did your swag get so classic?"
It didn't, swag was never known for hiding in radio stations, and it definitely can't be spoon-fed to you from a website.
Over and out.
Yooo that's soo true..
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way.
ReplyDeleteLet's get married, you hoe.