Monday, May 24, 2010

What happened to the Civil Rights Movement?



I mean, aside from the assasinations, the CIA/FBI's involvement, the fighting amongst civil rights groups, the introduction of drugs in the inner cities...I'm talking about today's black population. Why haven't we seen another Malcom X or Martin Luther King JR?

The amount of influence these men had were not just because of the time they were alive in, it was the amount of youth that wanted their dream along with them.

The current "Victim Mindstate" of the American black youth is a big step backwards for all the progression the race has acheived as a whole. There was a time when a young man was angry at the way his life felt seemingly pre-destined for failure. There was a time when a man that felt wronged would be more than demand SUPPORT from the government, he tried to FIX it.

Music and television are the main vehicles of the Black culture into the eyes and ears of many Black teens.
But even putting the entire Black progressive movement aside, why even defend your OWN individual rights when thoughts from

* BET, which stands for Black Entertainment Television, features solely urban music, movies, and television series.
* Your neighborhood, which may encourage the victim mindstate, and seperation between you and your hood is frowned upon.
* The news, many being biased towards stories with violent black crimes

are constantly drilled into your brain?

"I'm born to a single mother. I live in the projects. I have no money, no car, and going off to college feels like a pipedream." This is the point where a man should then realize nothing in this world can empower him to succeed except himself. Unfortunately many black men are brainwashed to believe their situation is caused by the government, and should therefore be fixed by the government.

I would like to point out the fact that with all the interesting and imaginative words that make up Black slang there's still no positive word for an intellectual, or at least a person with a legitimate job. Oh, don't get me wrong, there's alot of words for those in the drug dealing occupation: trapper, trapSTAR, slanger, pharmacist, hustler, and a lot of other words I'm unaware of. This leads to more words designated for the wealth gained from hustling, and finally even more words for the jewelry, cars, and other things purchased with wealth illegally gained. But can having a "white collar" job be considered cool too? You can even call it black collar if you like, I don't mind.

My only hope is that the black progressive movement has not fully assimilated to the Democratic party. I know how hard it is to resist increased social programs, hand outs, and Democrats definately DID support the Civil Rights movement...but it's current agenda is to show Blacks as victims, in need of a handouts to kick start, or even continue, their success. Human nature seems to gravitate towards those that want to give you something for nothing, and to tell a race that they can do no wrong because any wrong they do is someone else's fault, it's a form of mental slavery. It is my belief that democratic social reform will ultimately be the death of the Black spirit. That includes you too, Barack Obama.



Sheila Johnson, co-founder of the BET network, speaks on the channel in a April 29th 2010 interview:

“I don’t watch it. I suggest to my kids that they don’t watch it… I’m ashamed of it, if you want to know the truth.”


No comments:

Post a Comment